Important notes before ordering;
- The corners of our Square U-Bolts are not perfectly square and are slightly rounded for strength. To see sample, click here.
- Small diameter U-bolts (1/2 diameter and smaller) are more susceptible to measuring slightly wider due to the spring-like nature of the steel, but when properly torqued, they will typically conform to the shape of the item it is fitting over. This product is not for ornamental use and are designed to be torqued.
- The only thread pitch we sell are SAE (fine) and are manufactured by rolling a rod between dies creating threads for maximum strength. This makes the non-threaded part of the stock slightly smaller in diameter than the diameter of the threads. They are not threadable beyond the way they are and as noted on the ordering page.
- No coatings or platings are available.
- These U-bolts we make are custom per your order and are not returnable.
- Please call with questions. We are glad to help!
U-Bolt Specifications and Information at Dsuban Spring Service and Dsuban.com.
Specifications and Information of Custom U-Bolts
Bent to Order from 3/8 to 1 1/4 inch diameter with SAE threads.
U-bolts we make are custom per your order and are not returnable.
These u-bolts are for suspension, leaf spring and body mounting primarily, but have hundreds of other uses. We bend our own U-bolts on a hydraulic bender cold so the grain of the metal stays oriented in the right direction for maximum strength. The stock rod may be bent in many shapes but the most common shapes are SQUARE TOP, SEMI-ROUND TOP and ROUND TOP. The only thread pitch we use are SAE (fine) and are manufactured by rolling a rod between dies creating threads for maximum strength. This makes the non-threaded part of the stock slightly smaller in diameter than the diameter of the threads and are not threadable beyond the way they are.
Small diameter U-bolts, especially round bend (1/2 diameter and smaller) are more susceptible to measuring slightly wider due to the spring-like nature of the steel, but U-bolts, when properly torqued will conform to the shape of the item it is fitting over. If the item the U-bolt is fitting over is 3 inches wide, then the proper width U-bolt would be 3 inches wide. This product is not for ornamental use and is designed to be torqued. Please call with questions or concerns.
This picture is typical of our bend types.
How we make U-Bolts
We do not stock or sell any form of stainless steel material and do not offer any type of plating or galvanizing. All U-bolts are oil finish steel with SAE threads only.
We only stock and sell the following diameters of rod;
- 3/8 (24 threads per inch, SAE)
- 7/16 (20 threads per inch, SAE)
- 1/2 (20 threads per inch, SAE)
- 9/16 (18 threads per inch, SAE)
- 5/8 (18 threads per inch, SAE)
- 3/4 (16 threads per inch, SAE)
- 7/8 (14 threads per inch, SAE)
- 1 (14 threads per inch, SAE)
- 1-1/8 (12 threads per inch, SAE)
- 1-1/4 (12 threads per inch, SAE)
Calculating U-bolt Size;
Note that the “L” measurement (length) is not exact depending on total rod length, consequently the “L” measurement may be slightly shorter or longer. We add “C” and “L x 2” measurements to get the total material length which is made in even lengths, 22, 28, 38 etc.
(Example: 4″ wide U-bolt with 5″ legs will be made out of a 14″ rod, resulting in an actual leg length of approximately 4 3/4″.)
Calculating Approximate Thread Length;
Approximate Thread Length is calculated by multiplying 2 X “L” plus “C” (which equals the overall length of rod material before bending)
Thread lengths are predetermined by our threaded rod manufacturer and are listed below and cannot be altered without a special order;
(Total rod length = Thread length on each leg)
8″ to 20″ = 2″to 3″
22″ to 30″ = Approx 4″
32″ to 48″ = Approx 6″
150,000 PSI Minimum Tensile Strength; 130,000 PSI Minimum Yield Strength; 120,000 PSI Proof Load; 35% Reduction of Area; 10% Elongation. U-Bolts produced to SAE-J429 specification. This material is a cold drawn, stress relieved, micro-alloyed, 1541 modified steel. This steel cannot be welded on due to the orientation of the grain of the steel.
U-bolts from 3/8 to 9/16 diameter are Grade 5, while 5/8 to 1 1/4 diameter are Grade 8.
Available U-bolt Bending Inside Widths (in inches);
- 5-1/4 (Special for Freightliner with rounded corners)
- 5-1/2 (Special for some applications with 1” rounded corners)
- 3 (For Special Ford applications)
- 3 (For Special GM applications)
- 3-1/4 (Special for some applications with .500” rounded corners)
- 4 (For Special Peterbilt applications)
- 4 (For Special Navistar applications)
- 4 (For Special Ford applications)
Extreme lengths (short/long) and bending widths cannot be ordered on our web site. If the size or bend style you need is not listed here or on the detail pages, call us at 513-860-1200.